Re: lynx-dev Possible bug report - content type

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Possible bug report - content type
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:41:44 +0900

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 11:30:04AM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Dixitur illum address@hidden scribere...
>
> >AFAIK, Lynx's chartrans code was written such that this is "expected"
>
> BUT! for people who can't (yet) read nihongo, and just are looking
> for hRefs or pieces of English text on Japanese web pages, this is
> MORE than annoying.

Don't get me wrong; I'm just saying that as best as I can recall, it
was by design, and not a "bug" per se, that Lynx offers to download a
page with multibyte characters when Lynx knows that the display charset
is not compatible.

Is this "problem" occurring when the display charset is UTF-8?  It
shouldn't, but if it is, then there is probably some bug.  (Maybe not
so hard to fix.)

If people wish to view CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) web pages on a
regular basis, then they ought to set their display charset to one of the
multibyte charsets.  They will still be able to read English exactly as
if they were using plain ascii, which is included within the Asian language
charsets.

> Sure, I can "preview" the "file" after "downloading" now, which is
> a huge improvement nonetheless, but for activating hRefs, it's not
> less than pretty annoying.

Again, it is only a matter of changing your display charset, even
temporarily via the O)ptions menu, to get the behavior you want.

Someone who knows the code will have to re-write it if there is indeed
some problem.  All I know is that when you use Lynx as I do on a remote
Unix machine via a terminal emulation, you can totally lock up the session,
with no alternative other than to forcably close the telnet/ssh connection,
by having Lynx send multibyte characters direct to the terminal.  I have no
idea what the consequences if any are when that happens on a DOS or WINDOWS
machine running a Lynx binary.  Maybe the chartrans code needs to be
reviewed in that light, i.e., platform differences?

__Henry