Re: mailing-list problem (Was Re: lynx-dev What happened to MINGW patch?

From: Frédéric L . W . Meunier
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:25:02 -0300 (BRT)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Henry Nelson wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 12:29:18PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:05:02PM -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> Are we seeing progress towards the "new" list?  (Getting desperate since
> the school threatens to kick me off the lan today.  I'm going to let them
> physically pull the plug, though.  Should take them most of today to
> locate the machine. :)

No idea. Yesterday I sent an e-mail to both Bob and Thomas and
mentioned that I was losing interest because the move was
taking a very long time, even to receive a reply from Bob.

I think everything could be done in an hour or less if he had
the time or I had access to Verio and Savannah, but according
to his response that he and Thomas will take care of it from
now on, I suppose he now has.

And yes, I really hope he has, because the current mailing-list
isn't moderated, doesn't do anything WRT bounces (accourding to
my probes there are at least a dozen "User unknown" and
similar), e-mails from non subscribers return nothing,

> > Are people having trouble subscribing?  Please try one more time:
> >
> >    address your mail to: "address@hidden"
> >    put one single command in the body of the mail: "subscribe lynx-dev"
>
> Yes, we are indeed having trouble!  Tried what you [me] told me to do,
> but...

and apparently you can't even subscribe to it. I tried a few
days ago and only got

> > If your connection is any good, within seconds you should get a
> > confirmation e-mail which will ask you to authorize the subscription.
>
> Well, my "connection" is as good as it's going to get, and I do get a
> quick response, except that it tells me I can't subscribe:
>
>    has been forwarded to the owner of the "lynx-dev" list for approval.
>    This could be for any of several reasons:
>    [... snipped ...]
>    When the list owner approves your request, you will be notified.

this.

> > If you are not willing to subscribe, then you're going to have to expect
> > delays.  Please subscribe as it saves a human being countless hours of
>
> I am willing to subscribe, but I have circumstances that won't let me
> wait more than the 2 1/2 days it's been.  Isn't there some way people
> who [pretty much have to] mail via a relay smtp could get an automatic
> authorization to subscribe without opening the floodgates to spam?
> (Maybe put the authorization key inside of a .jpg or .gif file?)

So, that's all I had to say. Good luck.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html