Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled withncursesw

From: patakuti
Subject: Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with 2.8.5pre.5 compiled withncursesw
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 00:27:18 +0900 (JST)

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004, Thomas Dickey wrote:

> When I was looking before, I was using uxterm, which wouldn't have the
> same fonts, etc.  I can see that lynx doesn't render _that_ into UTF-8
> the same way the EUC-JP is handled in mlterm (so that's something more
> to investigate - but a different matter).

I believe you're talking about pages written in Japanese.
Lynx must not display pages encoded EUC-JP properly on the screen
which is capable UTF-8 because Lynx has no translation table from
EUC-JP (, Shift_JIS nor ISO-2022-JP) to UTF-8.

It's a someting lack of feature.  But it's not critical because in
many cases we have screen which is capable EUC-JP or Shift_JIS so
we don't have to use UTF-8 mode except for viewing pages in multi
languages.

On the other hand, Lynx doesn't have a translation table from Japanese
part of UTF-8 to EUC-JP nor Shift_JIS also.  It's bad because we have
to change screen setting (ex: from EUC-JP to UTF-8) to read Japanese
pages encoded UTF-8, which is increasing in these days.

In deed, I have a patch (*) which makes Lynx be able to convert
Japanese text encoded UTF-8 to EUC-JP and Shift_JIS.  But I'm not sure
it's best solution of this problem, because it uses iconv and Lynx
already seems to have translation tables except CJK and in some
environment we may not be able to use iconv.

  (*) http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/tmp/lynx/lynx.patch_for_285dev14UTF8

May I have any suggestion?
# Though I don't have much time to wirte a code...
--
Takeshi Hataguchi
E-mail: address@hidden