[Lynx-dev] WWW_HOME=bookmark-file: cannot remove bookmarks

From: Albert REINER
Subject: [Lynx-dev] WWW_HOME=bookmark-file: cannot remove bookmarks
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 15:53:07 +0200

   [I originally sent this to address@hidden, but that does not seem
    to be the correct address.  Sorry if it worked after all and this
    is a duplicate.]

Hi,

I have been using Lynx as my primary browser for about eight years,
and - obviously - I really like it: thanks a lot for this wonderful
program.  After installation of a new Linux system and a new Lynx,
however, I have run into some slightly annoying new behavior:

I want Lynx to always load my default bookmark file upon startup, so I
have set WWW_HOME to that file:

    $ echo $WWW_HOME
    file://localhost/~albert/.lynx_bm/default.html

The drawback of this is that Lynx now no longer lets me `r'emove a
link in a bookmark file not loaded via the `v' command: In order to be
able to delete bookmarks I have to issue, say, `v b v a' (change to
bookmark file b - any other file works, too -, change back to default
bookmark file), after which pressing `r' elicits the familiar `Do you
really want to delete this link from your bookmark file? (n)' prompt;
the situation is unchanged when I call lynx with the bookmark file as
a command-line argument.  Using a non-bookmark-file starting page and
I used the exact same setup on my old system with an old version of
lynx and never had that problem.)

Versions:

    $ lynx --version
    Lynx Version 2.8.5rel.1 (04 Feb 2004)
    libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, OpenSSL 0.9.7c
    Built on linux-gnu Mar  1 2004 20:33:06

    $ uname -a
    Linux willehalm 2.4.24 #3 Sun Apr 4 15:46:46 CEST 2004 i686
    GenuineIntel unknown GNU/Linux

A suggestion I would like to make: I do not seem to be able to find a
way of backing out of loading a page while being asked whether to
accept cookies (except for ^C, of course).  I would find it more
natural if, say, ^G or cursor-left not just rejected the cookie but
rather avoided loading the page altogether.

Best regards,

Albert Reiner.