Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with2.8.5pre.5compiled

From: patakuti
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: lynx-dev a problem of Japanese with2.8.5pre.5compiled withncursesw
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 23:59:13 +0900 (JST)

On Wed, 12 May 2004, Henry Nelson wrote:

> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 12:47:02AM +0900, address@hidden wrote:
> > More specifically, my patch let Lynx translate UTF-8 into Japanese
> > encodings using iconv but translate UTF-8 into other encodings using
> > included tables.
>
> Not so bad.  It may encourage others to help to make a move toward
> replacing chartrans with iconv.  (Is it only Japanese, or all of CJK?)

My patch doesn't care Chineses nor Korean at all.

> >  Having big table, which includes between UTF-8 and
> > Japanese, might be better than that.
>
> Don't know.  Wouldn't this risk making Lynx sluggish on minimal resource
> machines?  Do you have an estimate on the size of the table required?

I don't know the size but there seems to be over 12,000 characters in
Japanese (JIS X 0208 and JIS X 0212).

> > However, I think it's not so bad idea to introduce a new configure
> > option like --enable-exp-JapaneseUTF8-support.
>
> I agree.  It's up to Tom I guess on how to proceed.  Hope it works out.
> (I'd like to try it, but hardly have enough time to keep up with lynx-dev
> let alone trying to test another source tree.)

OK.  I'll update my patch on this weekend because it can't be applied
to the latest Lynx and it seems to be better to introduce new macro
like EXP_JAPANESEUTF8_SUPPORT in order to make Lynx configurable.
--
Takeshi Hataguchi
E-mail: address@hidden