Re: Re: Re: [Lynx-dev] can Lynx be used today ? (fwd)

From: Petr Baudis
Subject: Re: Re: Re: [Lynx-dev] can Lynx be used today ? (fwd)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:06:36 +0200

Dear diary, on Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 10:43:10PM CEST, I got a letter,
where Thomas Dickey <address@hidden> told me, that...
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2004, Petr Baudis wrote:
>
> > Dear diary, on Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 01:12:32AM CEST, I got a letter,
> > where address@hidden told me, that...
> > > it seems v unlikely that anyone now will take the trouble
> > > to write the code to allow Lynx to handle JS etc, but one never knows ...
> >
> > FYI, that does not need to be all that painful as it looks. If you set
> > out to handle just window.location, window.open(), forms item access and
> > such tiny stuff, it will suffice for vast majority of JS sites and that
> > shouldn't be too hard unless lynx's internals aren't really nasty ;-).
> > The rest of the task is integrating some JS runtime engine - I'd
> > recommend Mozilla's SpiderMonkey, which is quite easy to get along with
>
> Mozilla's webpage points to
>
>       http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/
>
> which doesn't appear to contain anything relevant.  (Not surprising -
> Mozilla's webpages are not well maintained - but google doesn't seem
> to show an alternate source of the code).

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js-1.5-rc6a.tar.gz is what you
are looking for. One disadvantage is that it's a little difficult to get
installed without bits of Mozilla CVS all around - you can check out
elinks/doc/ecmascript.txt for some patches to get that going, or if your
system goes with SpiderMonkey already prepackaged...

--
                                Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/