Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx under OSX 10.4 (Tiger) fails 'make' @ "h_addr" ; OK

From: OpenMacNews
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx under OSX 10.4 (Tiger) fails 'make' @ "h_addr" ; OK under 10.3.X
Date: Sun, 01 May 2005 15:04:24 -0700

hi thomas,

in Tiger's "/usr/include/netdb.h":
        # ifndef _POSIX_C_SOURCE
        # define h_addr  h_addr_list[0]  /* address, for backward compatiblity
*/
        # endif /* !_POSIX_C_SOURCE */

That's amusing - someone recently sent a patch for ncurses to turn off
_POSIX_C_SOURCE citing "problems" with Darwin's header files.  (It's
not POSIX, but making changes like that at random doesn't help much ;-)

i saw a note abt POSIX_C_SOURCE in CHANGES ... suspected it might be related.

Since lynx uses the same configure script macros, that'll be gone in
the next patch.  But it costs some functionality (makes it harder to
use the functions that actually belong in POSIX).

i'm in over my head here ... i'll have to accept on faith.

I assume Darwin's developers have some excuse.

given past history, methinks that requires a crytal-ball and a sacrificial chicken to know for sure ... ;-)

so, to my naive read, the define *is* properly defined, but the
           # ifndef _POSIX_C_SOURCE
conditional is suspect.

generally speaking, you need that to pull in definitions that belong to
POSIX when you've set the compile environment to want the standard C
definitions.

understood.  i'm curious as well as to why it changed in OSX ...

options seem to be:

(a) change /usr/include/netdb.h
(b) clone & change /usr/local/include/netdb.h
(c) link against external BIND931 build's libs/includes
(d) change code in lynx src (UN-defining _POSIX_C_SOURCE, perhaps?)

I don't like to change the system headers - it's a pain keeping up with
new versions.

agreed.

If I had the system to experiment with, I'd see what other differences
in lynx came about from suppressing that.  (I suspect that wide-character
ncurses won't configure/build without it, and since most of my attention
is in that area, Darwin's taken a big step backward).

If there's only a few places to prop it up, we can make special cases for
Darwin.

please let me know if/how i can help ... i'm a lynx user, and FAR from being of any real dev use here at this stage, but happy to do what i can.

cheers,

richard