Re: [Lynx-dev] What may cause a corrupted screen?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] What may cause a corrupted screen?
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 18:42:48 -0500

On Sun, Dec 25, 2005 at 09:21:50PM -0200, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> When I move around using the up and down arrow keys, suddenly
> the screen gets corrupted.
>
> I'm using Slackware-current. I thought it could be caused by
> screen, but tested without it. I also thought it could be
> caused by ncurses, but compiled the latest test version and
> recompiled lynx against it, to no avail. I also tried disabling
> nested tables with "~". I don't remember when it started
> happening, but I'm pretty sure it was in the last 6 months.

You may have encountered one of the bugs I haven't come across - I've
fixed 2-3 related to off-by-ones with wrapping in the past few months.

Link-highlighting is done through a different computation than the
page-painting.  It's possible for an error in lynx to make those not
agree.  As I implemented the "real" wide-character code, I had to make
new computations that sometimes involved different assumptions.

> May it be caused by bright-blue?

no - I think it's mostly the page contents (sometimes locale has an effect
if it's because of the width of a character).  I might see the problem with
a url.

Looking with the url I see at the bottom of the picture, and moving the
cursor up/down (I'm on windows right now), I do see that it's odd that
the status line seems to get some debris on it (something to check on linux).

> http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/1970/lynx2lu.png
>
> --libdir=/usr/local/share/lynx --enable-vertrace
> --enable-warnings --disable-full-paths --with-ssl
> --with-screen=ncursesw --enable-addrlist-page
> --enable-charset-choice --enable-color-style
> --enable-default-colors --enable-htmlized-cfg
> --enable-locale-charset --enable-nested-tables
> --enable-scrollbar --enable-externs --enable-font-switch
> --enable-cgi-links --enable-change-exec --enable-exec-links
> --enable-exec-scripts --enable-internal-links --enable-nsl-fork
> --enable-gzip-help --with-bzlib --with-zlib
>
> --with-screen=ncursesw --enable-font-switch were only enabled
> in my last build. Using
> ftp://invisible-island.net/temp/lynx2.8.6dev.16c.patch.gz

that should be no worse than dev.16 -
neither of the changes there is related to this problem.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net