[Lynx-dev] Re: Nested lists

From: hsv
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: Nested lists
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:51:41 -0400

Creative use of DL has always been a controversial area.  There are
some people who consider that it should only be use for definition lists.
However, I think that this example is so clearly a nested un-numbered list,
and that is the interpretation that most people who bother to mark up
site maps structurally seem to make.
<<<<<<<<
I confess I never have seen a site map. I was moved by the grouping of
"submenu"s under "Menu" in one "level", and for that "dd" and "dt" seemed
right, and that in a TR or something else found under <www.w3.org/MarkUp>
it said that there are other uses of definition lists.

In particular, DL is should never be used if the only intention is to
achieve indentation.  In fact the original specification allowed the
dt item to be on the same line as the first dd.  ...
<<<<<<<<
In real dictionaries that is quite usual, with definitions run on to
each other, set off by numbers, the term in boldface--uses less paper.
I have seen numbered and bulleted lists, too, thus run on. There is no
"presenting" in that form in HTML or muSoft Word.

> 2.6.8dev.18, one can somewhat show it, or with the deprecated method of
> putting text right after "ul" outside "li".

This technique cannot be deprecated as it has never been legal.
<<<<<<<<
True; I mean somewhere, maybe 3.0, an explicit reference to the
practice with regard to backward compatibility.

That's for the other browsers ;) It looks sort of okay in Lynx,
except that the empty line still has that bullet.
<<<<<<<<
I find that backwards. I would say that the bullet yet has that empty line.