Re: [Lynx-dev] Host Header Information

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Host Header Information
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:46:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, David Woolley wrote:

Thomas Dickey wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, Graham R. Shutt wrote:

(a short-term fix might be to force lynx to use "L_y_n_x" as the user-agent, until the next cut/paste artist adds that to mod_security)

Are you sure the problem isn't libwww? I have a feeling that some email address seeking web crawlers are based on libwww as well. People may be using the false logic that anything used by spammers is only used by them. (Lynx's crawl mode may also be being used by spammers).

no (more than one reason). The url I noted is looking for "lynx", "links" and other words. The previous discussion I pointed out that _either_ "lynx" or "libwww" in the user agent triggered the 406.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net