Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: session→syslog?!

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: session→syslog?!
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 10:40:44 -0800

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:35:59 +0000 (UTC)
Thorsten Glaser wrote:

> FWIW, we got it.
>
> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> ~> which lynx
> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> lynx: aliased to noglob command lynx -cfg=~/.lynxrc

Uh, why are they loading ~/.lynxrc in place of the default
lynx.cfg file?  An alternate config file makes sense, but
not .lynxrc .  The two files have different formats, and
[somewhat] different purposes; one defines system-wide defaults,
while the other contains user-defined variations on those
defaults.

Try opening both in a text editor; you'll notice lynx.cfg uses
`THIS_SETTING:VALUE' and .lynxrc uses `this_setting=value' -- an
equals sign, not a colon.  A lot of items from one file don't
match the equivalent item in the other, if there even is an
equivalent [and in many cases, there isn't].

Not sure if character case makes a difference though.

Also, the ~/.lynxrc file is overwritten whenever you save
settings from the O)ptions screen.  It won't preserve anything it
can't parse from that file.

> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> when I run "command lynx", it doesn't log to syslog
> 16:09⎜<lynx:#grml> ah
> 16:09⎜<lynx:#grml> so, the -cfg= seems to override /etc/**/lynx.cfg
> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> yes
> 16:10⎜<thkoehler:#grml> but the .lynxrc doesn't contain anything about syslog
> logging
> 16:10⎜<thkoehler:#grml> so the default seems to be "log to syslog"
> 16:11⎜<thkoehler:#grml> adding "SYSLOG_REQUESTED_URLS:FALSE" to ~/.lynxrc
> fixed it now
>
> Tom, you might want to change the default…
>
> bye,
> //mirabilos

Patrick.
--
People that can't find something to live for always seem to find
something to die for.  The problem is, they usually want the rest