Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: session→syslog?!

From: Stefan Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: session→syslog?!
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:55:35 -0500

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Patrick
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:35:59 +0000 (UTC)
> Thorsten Glaser wrote:
>
>> FWIW, we got it.
>>
>> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> ~> which lynx
>> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> lynx: aliased to noglob command lynx -cfg=~/.lynxrc
>
> Uh, why are they loading ~/.lynxrc in place of the default
> lynx.cfg file?  An alternate config file makes sense, but
> not .lynxrc .  The two files have different formats, and
> [somewhat] different purposes; one defines system-wide defaults,
> while the other contains user-defined variations on those
> defaults.

It's perfectly valid to use any file name for -cfg= as long as it is
parseable. There is nothing to suggest that this is the Options
generated file.

> Try opening both in a text editor; you'll notice lynx.cfg uses
> `THIS_SETTING:VALUE' and .lynxrc uses `this_setting=value' -- an
> equals sign, not a colon.  A lot of items from one file don't
> match the equivalent item in the other, if there even is an
> equivalent [and in many cases, there isn't].

I'd guess that the .lynxrc file is a variant of the stock lynx.cfg file.

> Not sure if character case makes a difference though.
>
> Also, the ~/.lynxrc file is overwritten whenever you save
> settings from the O)ptions screen.  It won't preserve anything it
> can't parse from that file.

Only if you use Options and save.

>> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> when I run "command lynx", it doesn't log to syslog
>> 16:09⎜<lynx:#grml> ah
>> 16:09⎜<lynx:#grml> so, the -cfg= seems to override /etc/**/lynx.cfg
>> 16:09⎜<thkoehler:#grml> yes
>> 16:10⎜<thkoehler:#grml> but the .lynxrc doesn't contain anything about
>> syslog logging
>> 16:10⎜<thkoehler:#grml> so the default seems to be "log to syslog"
>> 16:11⎜<thkoehler:#grml> adding "SYSLOG_REQUESTED_URLS:FALSE" to ~/.lynxrc
>> fixed it now
>>
>> Tom, you might want to change the default…

I don't recall a discussion about changing this. This is a packaging
maintainer decision.

Stef