Re: [Lynx-dev] A tirade against element "p"

From: Keith Bowes
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] A tirade against element "p"
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:11:26 -0400

Je 2012-03-12 je 11:50:02 (-0500) Hal�sz S�ndor skribis:

> This shows a basic fault of HTML... The fact is, "p" is like a paragraph, it
> is nothing but a block-level leaf node--an accidental element of structure,
> that has no place in a markup-language. Did they deal with this in HTML5?
A p is a parapraph.  If you use it otherwise, you're abusing HTML
(granted, a lot of people do this to achieve the intended presentational
effect in graphical browsers, but education has disseminated the value
of CSS to style things without shutting out text browsers, search
engines, braille readers, etc.).

With what would you like to replace <p>?  BTW, HTML5 has *more* such
have it so that you could put block-level elements in <p>, but that was
replaced by HTML5 (which I have major problems with; the more I
experiment with it, the more I loathe it); at least the HTML5 people did
take XHTML 2's role attribute (but I doubt browsers will ever implement
role="navigation" like described in the XHTML 2 spec; pity).

> See also <http://sl-507-3.slc.westdc.net/~phoenixe/Minutes/2008/AUGUST7.HTM>,
> where I organized a bunch of lists after "h2"s into a bigger block, doubtless
> violating their intent (I have an older version of Lynx, for Windows, that
> does not number "ol" within "ol": an inner "ol" ends an outer "ol").

I've compiled 2.8.8dev.12 in Cygwin in Windows without ha problem.  I do
think nested lists are implementation-defined (though the experts here
might correct me at that).  The ISO-HTML standard did special stuff in
its DTD to ensure the hn elements were used correctly, but I'm fairly
sure it wasn't carried on to any other standard (yes, I also liked XHTML
2's <section> element better than <hn>).