Re: [Lynx-dev] LDFLAGS in makefile.in

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] LDFLAGS in makefile.in
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:21:49 -0400

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 03:56:57PM +0900, MARUYAMA Naomasa wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>
> Owing to my experiences of compiling lynx2-8-6 and lynx2.8.7 on
> SunOS5.10, I would like to suggest you to add
>
>       LDFLAGS         = @LDFLAGS@
>
> into makefile.in by the following reason.
>
> It seems lynx2-8-6 and lynx2-8-7 compiled with curses behave strangely
> when run with lss under screen(screen-4.0.2-sol10-sparc-local.gz on
> http://www.sunfreeware.com/sol10right.html) and "o" key is hit.  So I
> decided to use ncurses instead of curses, but
>
>   ./configure --with-screen=ncurses --with-curses-dir=/usr/local
>
> is not sufficent.  A library object "libncurses" resides in
> /usr/local/lib, so I think a line

Is that from a package, or self-compiled?  (Offhand, I thought all
of the Solaris packages were in other directories than /usr/local).

Linking rpath stuff with Solaris is a nuisance due to its not including
/usr/local or (as I recall) any of the locations for packages in the
library search-list.  So rpath is (I agree) always needed.

I have a Solaris 10 (virtual machine...) and an OpenSolaris one.
In the latter, there is an ncurses package, but it is partly broken,
since there's a typo in the ncurses5-config script (which should have
been a bug report - seems others do not use it).  That's fixed in current
ncurses, since I use it in lynx and other programs.

From ncurses' NEWS file:
20100403
        + build-fixes for OpenSolaris aka Solaris 11, for wide-character
          configuration as well as for rpath feature in *-config scripts.

Given the date, that change is part of ncurses 5.9

I've made changes in the ongoing (development for 2.8.8) to
use this script to supply the rpath option needed for linking ncurses,
if ncurses is installed using the rpath option.  Also, lynx's configure
script now supplies the -R as a workaround (unless suppressed).

From lynx's CHANGES file:
2010-04-25 (2.8.8dev.3)
* add configure option --disable-rpath-hack -TD
* build-fixes for OpenSolaris aka Solaris 11 -TD
* add/use CF_RPATH_HACK, for constructing rpath references to libraries in
  nonstandard locations -TD

>   LDFLAGS     = -R/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib
>
> is necessary in src/makefile, but
>
>     ./configure --with-screen=ncurses --with-curses-dir=/usr/local
> LDFLAGS="-R/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib:/lib"
>
> is still not sufficient owing to the absence of
>
>       LDFLAGS         = @LDFLAGS@
>
> in the makefile.in.  (Note that the same line appears in

But LDFLAGS is not passed from the top-level makefile into src/makefile.in
(it is only in src/makefile.in, as given from the configure script).
The only variables that are passed from the top-level makefile are
DESTDIR and CC (and the latter is not actually needed).

> src/makefile.in.)  I hope this suggestion will be useful in the future
> releases of lynx.

thanks - I believe that the current development version does what you
need :-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net