[Lynx-dev] xz

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: [Lynx-dev] xz
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:35:24 +0700

[…]

 >> gunzip is designed to replace uncompress (in addition to its more
 >> usual functionality) (gzip does not replace compress - they really
 >> are different)

 > In MirBSD (inherited this from OpenBSD), gzip functionality was added
 > to Unix compress instead, using some sort of pluggable interface.  I
 > can provide source, if desired.  I’d add xz in a heartbeat if I had
 > an Open Source licence for it.  (Actually, a BSDish licence, won’t
 > add new GPL/LGPL code to base.  But as things are now, it’s
 > unlicenced and thus best to avoid.)

        Huh?

--cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils --
    License     Bulk system under GNU LGPL v2.1 and public domain; Build
                system under GNU GPL v2, GNU GPL v3, and public domain;
                source code in public domain
--cut: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XZ_Utils --

        I may be mistaken here, but the above makes me think that the
        decompression code per se was released into the public domain,
        which qualifies as both “free” and “open source.”

--
FSF associate member #7257