Re: [Lynx-dev] How to display chinese with utf-8 correctly in lynx brows

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] How to display chinese with utf-8 correctly in lynx browser?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 05:34:16 -0400

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:48:56AM +0800, Weien Wang wrote:
> Hi Sir:
> As subject, When I visit my chinese website, lynx can't display content
> correctly.
> All chinese translate into unreadable state.
> ="zh-tw".
>
> Lynx version : 2.8.8dev.12 (win32)

You may be using the binary from my site.
        http://invisible-island.net/lynx/

That was not built with the PDCurses "wide" flavor.

Short answer: lynx hasn't been modified to use PDCurses "wide" interface.

Long answer:

I recall investigating this a while back, but was unable to see
the Unicode actually working.

In a quick check now, I see that while it's possible to build lynx
using that dll, the rendering isn't quite right (there's a mismatch
between the links and their highlighted positions).  Going further,
and setting the display character set to UTF-8 and examining the
test-page for Unicode, I see that the UTF-8 is not being interpreted
by the library (as ncurses would).

The pdcurses change history is vague, but seems to state that it uses
the same variation from X/Open as ncurses, i.e., that the non-wide
character functions accept multibyte characters.

> My system : windows 7
>
> I already set these option by "o"ption:
>
> 1. Display character set = UNICODE (UTF-8).

this should be all that is needed (but see above).