Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx fails to open an URL

From: Shérab
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] lynx fails to open an URL
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:49:10 +0100

Dear Thorsten,

Many thanks for your prompt and so helpful response !

> Go to (O)ptions and change a setting to the following:
>   Preferred encoding               : [34][(1)__None____]
>
> Then you get the 401 Unauthorised message body, as shown below.

Yes, indeed, thanks !
Now I tried to save this change to disk but i does not work. I checked
/etc/lynx-cur/* to see if perhaps it was not allowed for users to save
tis setting but couldn't find anything either. Cn somebody help on this,
please ?

Also: would it be possible to tell lynx to assume yes as an answer to
this question, so things would work even if nothing is fixed on the
server... ?

> The problem behind this is that the server sends out compressed
> data in an invalid encoding (I analysed this some time ago, and
> it turns out that *everyone*, every server I’ve seen, every doc
> and howto and PHP snippet does it *wrong* and I’ve read through
> the standard and verified that Lynx is correct).
>
> I’d tell them that, were I you. Basically, #673452 contains all
> information you should need.

Checked, thanks. I'm wondering: how do other browsers do to still be
able to display the content ? Do they simply ignore the declared
encoding and use something like file to find out hat's the actual
encoding ?

Cheers,
Sherab.