Re: [Lynx-dev] Help customize: screen size, color, text size; status bar

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Help customize: screen size, color, text size; status bar covers hotkey listing
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 19:38:43 -0500

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 11:11:05PM +0900, Daniel Bridges wrote:
> ‎Thank you for your time.  I am an intermediate computer user, having
> failed to use multiple versions of Linux in the past (mostly Ubuntu).
> Currently using Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit, on the Surface Pro 4 in Japan (USA
> regional settings, English from first-time screen), I used the Win32
> installer lynx-cs-setup.exe , likely from http://invisible-island.net/lynx/ ;
> I think it was “Current patch built with curses (color-style)”.
>
> My overarching problem is that manual installation and editing configuration
> files appears advanced; I don’t know what to do.  I tried figuring it out
> months ago on an old MacBook Pro and wound up installing lynxlet instead

hmm - other people were involved with lynxlet, but I can offer some advice.

> after writing to you.  I cannot use the Lynx main help and User Guide because
> I cannot see it (e.g.  recurring blue text on black), and because it is not
> clear to me which section has the answers I seek; I don’t currently have time
> to read it cover-to-cover.
>
> My problems are:
> 1.  The content does not resize with making the window larger; I’d like to
> use it full-screen in addition to any size.

Lynx does not automatically repaint its screen when resizing the window
(some long ago disagreement there).  If you use control/R to refresh the
window it will use the new window's size...

> 2.  Blue text is basically impossible for me to read against the black
> background.  (I want to keep the black background.)

Blue text sounds like the old color configuration.  Your choices here
are to adjust colors based on this section of lynx.cfg:

        http://lynx.invisible-island.net/lynx_help/body.html#COLOR

> 3.  I would like to make the text larger.  It is a little too small,
> difficult to see.

lynx doesn't control this

> 4.  For ‘a name’ hyperlinks to a section of a webpage, there appears to be no
> text highlight when moving between them with the down arrow.  (Example:
> http://www.usccb.org/bible/genesis/21 ; is there a way to copy-to-clipboard
> the current page’s URL from within Lynx?)

probably not done in lynxlet

> 5.  Text remains ‘burned onto’ the screen after navigating away, apparently
> from resizing the window – clicking the ‘maximize’ and ‘unmaximize’ button in
> the top-right window corner, and scrolling the text back into view after
> unmaximizing, and then navigating to a new screen.

control/R to refresh probably would fix this

> 6.  The status bar, e.g. “press space for next page”, covered the hotkey
> info, i.e. the “H)elp O)ptions” etc.  listing, I think after maximizing the
> window, possibly the first time I used it after installation.  I have not
> been able to cause this problem to repeat.

control/R to refresh probably would fix this

> 7.  I understand Lynx uses the terminal or something similar (bash?) and
> there’s a good reason why the mouse and clicking doesn’t work, but it would
> be nice if this feature could be implemented, to click on links (or use
> touchscreen).  I could list other things I’d love to see, e.g. the “pinch out
> to zoom in” type touchscreen features.

Mouse actions only work with slang/ncurses - but it's configurable:

        http://lynx.invisible-island.net/lynx_help/body.html#USE_MOUSE

However, my understanding of your configuration is that you're using
a Terminal app which doesn't support mouse actions by lynxlet.

> I found documentation seemingly related to problem #1, I think from the User
> Guide:
> >For win32, allow the console window to be resized to the given values. This
> >requires PDCurses 2.5. The values given are width,height.
> >Default value
> > SCREEN_SIZE:80,24
> > Support for this setting was disabled at compile-time.
>
> Does this mean resizing the content to match window size is impossible if one
> has used the lynx-cs-setup.exe Win32 installer?  Is there a better 64-bit
> version instead?

The installer puts a lynx.cfg file in the folder where lynx runs from.
You can find that by going to the special URL "LYNXCFG:/"

> I intend to browse the help documentation mentioned on the startup window
> eventually, but I have very little spare time.
> Would you please add this software to the Windows Store?  I think it could

I don't see a way to do that...