Re: [Lynx-dev] TLS-"transport layer security" & LYNX

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] TLS-"transport layer security" & LYNX
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2018 20:31:22 -0400 (EDT)

>>> [...] go to for my work and it gets worse daily.
>> Me too, but it's not lynx's fault in my case.
> If itâ??s â??getting worse dailyâ?? I suspect itâ??s the fault of all
> those sites and CDNs now requiring TLSv1.1 or TLSv1.2 or an ECC
> ciphersuite.  I am hit hard by those as well.

Actually, in my case, it's the fault of webservers that refuse to serve
anything over HTTP except a redirect to HTTPS.  I neither have nor want
HTTPS support.

> Thereâ??s likely no way out except upgrading to LibreSSL or
> something.  But thatâ??s an OS-wide issue, nothing lynx can help you
> with.

If lynx can't build with TLS support other than the underlying OS's, I
respectfully submit that its build procedure is broken. :-)

> I admit having been a proponent of using HTTPS everywhere for quite
> some time,

[Mini-rant alert.]

That's not an unreasonable choice for clients.  But for servers?
Because there is no way to negotiate, to arranve that clients that are
willing to switch to HTTPS do so and clients that aren't don't, I think
it is unreasonable for servers to insist on it.  (In general.  There
certainly are things for which it's reasonable.)

I do nothing at all on the Web for which HTTPS is appropriate or even
helpful; why should I have to pay the CPU cycle and exposed attack
surface costs of HTTPS support?  Yet increasingly large numbers of
webservers insist on ramming HTTPS down my throat anyway.  (Or, rather,
trying to.  Since I don't have HTTPS support, all they succeed in doing
is driving me away from their pages.)

> (so I now continue offering https but wonâ??t force people to use it,
> except on actual login pages and such and the
> confidential/user-specific data they generate).

Thank you.  Would that all web admins were that sane.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden