Re: [Lynx-dev] TLS-"transport layer security" & LYNX

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] TLS-"transport layer security" & LYNX
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 22:12:09 +0000 (UTC)

Mouse dixit:

>Because there is no technical difference between that and a cert for
>*.com or *.qc.ca: there is no way to tell, when presented with the
>cert, whether everything covered by it is under common administration.

Except the asterisk does not match a dot.

So *.com would be valid for example.com but not www.example.com.

CAs are a critical failure point anyway… I recall posting to this
list a suggestion that lynx could remember server certificates,
what others, a decade or so later, now call HPKP IIRC.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Stéphane, I actually don’t block Googlemail, they’re just too utterly
stupid to successfully deliver to me (or anyone else using Greylisting