Re: [Lynx-dev] ot: slightly web host ideas?

From: Karen Lewellen
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] ot: slightly web host ideas?
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 22:20:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Travis,
Will answer in context.

Multiple solutions.
First possible solution is to change the ssh port the daemon uses on dreamhost.

We have a shared hosting account with dreamhost, and have been told they do not provide this service i. e. changing the port to something else on their servers. staying would be our desire of course, if you know of a way to alter the port number on another company's server?

I used to run my ssh daemon on port 443 when I worked for a
company in Delaware who blocked outgoing port 22 requests, but since https uses port 443, they kind of had to let that port through, and that allowed me to connect to my home machines without raising any red flags.

We do not host our own machines, but use a shared account with them. If your method works on a company machine let me know.

Second option is to do what I suggested the first time, setup a virtual private server (vps), and host your own site, lots of companies offer this capability, and it's more secure than a shared host like dreamhost, because you own the entire instance on the server, not just the little corner the host gives you. I use linode.com for this purpose, but you can choose any provider you like. Once the VPS is up and running, you can't tell the difference between it and any other supposedly real host machine on the internet, which means, your company will have complete control over their hosting, email, and whatever else they have on the server. Not to mention, it's trivially easy to maintain linux servers these days, what with all the
automation the package tools provide now.

We have no staff whatsoever  with the skills to run a vps...at all.
I do not use Linux even,   In  fact physically cannot use Linux directly.
dreamhost provides a structure comparative to shellworld, with my using my DOS ssh client to work with my adaptive tools. I respect that for you such maintenance seems easy, but a person must exist here in Toronto to do this... under any circumstances, with the ability to manage the server completely. Still I had one offer from a colleague, will ask, but this is not our choice.