Re: [Lynx-dev] relative HREF in BASE tag

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] relative HREF in BASE tag
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 15:10:08 +0000

On 25/11/2018 15:02, address@hidden wrote:
This "recommendation" should be way more explicit on noscript and light web
browsers (html and xml), like defining such a user agent profile.

That's not going to happen as the people that created the specification had no interest in such browsers. It was basically created by a breakaway faction, with graphical browser developers as some of prime movers. Their intent was to create a platform for client side scripting of applications, not to provide a structural language for server side generated documents.

W3C had created HTML4, which was much more the latter, and aimed at people wanting to produce strongly structured documents, but that is not WHATWG wanted.

(One of the key features of HTML5 is that the behaviour of all compliant browsers should be the same, even for broken documents. That is not going to work with non-graphical browsers, like Lynx, or browsers that take short cuts in parsing, that assume that the input document is valid.)

Note I wasn't aware that W3C had adopted HMTL5, so I haven't checked to see if they have tempered some of the original aims.