Re: [Lynx-dev] Installing lynx on historical 2.11BSD Unix

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Installing lynx on historical 2.11BSD Unix
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 05:51:52 -0500

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:35:27AM +0100, Rene Richarz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to install lynx on a historical 2.11BSD Unix system running on a
> PiDP-11, see https://github.com/rricharz/pidp11-2.11bsd
> <https://github.com/rricharz/pidp11-2.11bsd>

s/PiDP/PDP/

> Unfortunately configure does not work.

that's expected.

> Any suggestion on what I should do?

offhand, a lot of work

As far as I know, no version of lynx has ever been built with so old a version.
At the outset in 1997, there were a few unvalidated ports to systems that were
released around 1990.  2.11 is ten years older than that.

The current configure script uses POSIX shell.  There's a minor syntax
change needed to go back to the mid-1980s BSD shell (which came up as
an issue recently for a user of a different program targeting a 1990 system).
I'm attaching the script used to adjust configure, but I have a hunch that
won't help much.

The config.guess and config.sub scripts are maintained by someone else,
who may accept changes to target that system.

Past that - likely most of the configure checks won't work, especially
for networking features.

With a month or two of work, you can probably get lynx to work with local
files...

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net