[Lynx-dev] Gopher: "GET /" urls with query string

From: Tobias Girstmair
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Gopher: "GET /" urls with query string
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2019 17:49:42 +0200

G'day,

I'm working on a gopher server implementation [1] and rewriting HTTP-URLs to use the "GET /" syntax[2], as understood by lynx. However, I'm having trouble with URLs with a query string (in particular, wordpress short URLs): lynx always escapes the question mark to %3f. Then, the server (rightfully) complains that the resource wasn't found.
My gophermap contains this line:
   hMy Blog Post        GET /?p=1245    domain.net      80

and when visiting it, lynx then tries access [3]:
   GET /%3fp%3d1245 HTTP/1.0

instead of the correct:
   GET /?p=1245 HTTP/1.0

It looks to me that the decision to redirect the request onto the WWW happens after the URL escaping, so my question is: Is this intended behaviour or a bug? (as a bonus Q: any ideas how to get around it?)

greetings,
Tobias

[1]: as one does, in 2019 :^)
[2]:
https://github.com/kurtchen/Lynx/blob/8b3a9d48dc6737e2062c5678a28e2829f05094d0/src/LYGetFile.c#L719
[3]: verified by redirecting domain.net to localhost and running 'nc -l 80'