[Lynx-dev] interactive viewing test

From: Mike Marchywka
Subject: [Lynx-dev] interactive viewing test
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2019 17:41:32 +0000

Just since this seems to be a low volume list and the last few posts had
something to
do with lynx for email, I thought I would post on how the modified lynx is
producing
test files for me. This is actually from an unmodified lynx and the current
interactions
are limited but it should make the point. And, when I started playing with it,
it occured
to me someone probably made something like this for XML viewing but maybe
someone here may
know.  Again, the objective was to make a simple logical structure for the
email so it would
expand and collapse like any other tree.
Fully collapsed, this long email looks something like this,
\header\boilerplate\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\
title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citati
on\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\cit
ation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\
citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\references

Each backslashed item would be similar to a latex command although again xml
probably has similar expand/collapse tools, "references" is the lynx section my
parser found the others are more content specific. This email is a literature
update, and expanding
one section you could see that,

\header   This message contains My NCBI what's new results from the National
Center for Biotechnology Information
   ([1]NCBI) at the U.S. National Library of Medicine ([2]NLM).
   Do not reply directly to this message.
   Sender's message: Search: interferon
   Sent on Tuesday, 2019 May 14
   Search: interferon
   [3]View complete results in PubMed (results may change over time).
   [4]Edit saved search settings, or [5]unsubscribe from these e-mail updates.
   PubMed
Results\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\ti
tle\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation
\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citat
ion\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\ci
tation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\references

So then you can move the cursor around expanding selected sections , for
example it can turn into this, just
moving cursor and hitting "+" over the label,

\header\boilerplate   1. Viral Immunol. 2019 May 13. doi:
10.1089/vim.2019.0012. [Epub ahead of print]\title\authors\abstract
\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract
   5. J Cell Biochem. 2019 Ma
y 12. doi: 10.1002/jcb.28869. [Epub ahead of
print]\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\aut
hors\abstract   8. Front Mol Neurosci. 2019 Apr 26;12:83. doi:
10.3389/fnmol.2019.00083. eCollection 2019.\title\authors\abst
ract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\a
bstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\author
s\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract\citation\title\authors\abstract   1.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
   2. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/
   3.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/searches/1340461/1hS1HkF5vY5C-57Zaw8SYkl6n6QUfz_sBurzbZkPpkiqXo3t-0mRi6rS86EEhvFQK
   4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/searches/1340461/
   5.
   6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31081724

I'm not really sure this is going anywhere, it is kind of fun to play with, but
that was my interest
in lynx. fwiw. There may be other tree collapse/expand code that motivates
ideas on more flexible
email formats allowing easier viewing of long structured emails.

--

mike marchywka
306 charles cox