Re: [Lynx-dev] Using Lynx on 32-bit Windows XP

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Using Lynx on 32-bit Windows XP
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 16:06:54 -0400

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 05:20:16PM +0300, Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> Is there a way to install and run Lynx on Windows XP
> 32-bit?  The current version install well  but  will
> not  start  because  it is not a valid Win32 applia-
> tion.

sure - you'd have to compile the source on Windows XP (or using
some compatibility feature).  For instance, you might be able to
do this using Visual Studio Express 2008.

But doing that takes a fair amount of work (days of involvement).

I recall an earlier conversation in which I pointed out that the
problem is a DLL change which took effect in Windows 7, for which
Microsoft dropped compatibility in 2012 - something like that.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
https://invisible-island.net