Re: [Lynx-dev] autotools vs. prototypes

From: Ryan Schmidt
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] autotools vs. prototypes
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 20:43:12 -0500

On Aug 27, 2020, at 19:41, Thomas Dickey wrote:

>>> I see - as long as it's on the command-line, and not hardcoded into clang
>>> (though past experience suggests that's too much to expect).
>>>
>>> For the moment, I'll proceed with the command-line.
>>
>> Not sure what you mean exactly about the command line.  It's simply that the
>> default behavior of the compiler has changed, and now implicit function
>> declarations are an error, rather than a warning as they have been before.
>
> sure - as long as they didn't hardcode the behavior, it's something that
> can be addressed in the configure script.  When I see the updated version,
> I'll update the configure script.

You can get the updated version of clang for macOS Catalina or Big Sur beta
here, either as the full Xcode download or as the smaller command line tools:

https://developer.apple.com/download/more/?=Xcode%2012

If you don't want to use a beta or have an older macOS or another OS, you can
simulate the effects by adding -Werror=implicit-function-declaration to CFLAGS
when configuring lynx.

You can disable this behavior of the new clang by adding
-Wno-error=implicit-function-declaration to CFLAGS, however I would assume
there is no need to do so as long as you include the headers for all the
functions you will use.