Re: [Lynx-dev] Allow options wrapped in datalists.

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Allow options wrapped in datalists.
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 2021 12:18:46 +0000

On 05/03/2021 20:39, Andrei E. via Lynx-dev wrote:
In cheat.sh, when connecting with lynx, it complains about bad HTML.
However,https://github.com/chubin/cheat.sh/issues/288  points
tohttps://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/option  and
suggests that it respects the specification. Because of this, lynx should
accept at least that section without complaining. (This may still mean
reporting bad HTML for other reasons, but this should be fixed.)

I believe Lynx is basically an HTML 4 browser, with HTML 5 workarounds bolted on. I suspect the only easy option for it would be to completely ignore datalist elements, especially given that it seems they can be forward referenced.

Given that I would have been surprised if it honoured the semantics, I think the warning is harmless, except that it is incorrectly worded; it uses the common loose terminology of referring to elements as tags. It should say OPTION *element* not with SELECT *element*.

HTML 5 was created by a breakaway group, and the name of the group makes it clear that it is intended for applications, not documents, which also implies that HTML 5 is likely to rely on scripting, which Lynx doesn't support.