m4-discuss

Re: How to patsubst the result of an include?

From: Steven Simpson
Subject: Re: How to patsubst the result of an include?
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:17:08 +0000

Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

Instead, for the next release I want to come up with a mechanism for allowing
macros to return their results quoted, though I haven't yet thought of a clean
way to turn it on and off,

For my own purposes, I've patched m4 built-ins to take an optional extra numeric argument to specify the amount of quoting in the generated output. The default, of course, is zero, so it should be backwards-compatible. Although I've used it practically with my own stuff, I've not tried to replace a default installation.

The first of these just patches one or two macros that I originally needed (substr). The second patches a lot more, including some possibly botched doc changes, which might be undesirable.

http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/ss/archives/m4-1.4-quotes.diff.bz2
http://www.comp.lancs.ac.uk/computing/users/ss/archives/m4-1.4-quotes-2.diff.bz2

Any use, or has that approach been ruled out already?

Cheers,

Steven