m4-discuss

M4 and dependencies

From: Lorenzo Di Gregorio
Subject: M4 and dependencies
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:03:31 +0200

Hello,

I believe there is no way to generate dependency information with M4 as we do in CPP with -MD.  Right?

After some searching I've seen that there have been some wishes for this feature in the past, but it has never been implemented.  I've browsed a bit in the last version of the sources and I think it could be implemented within m4_push_file() in input.c.  Do you see any problem with it?

Personally, for a quick and dirty solution I would just dump all 'title' values in a file and post-process it.

Best Regards,
Lorenzo