m4-discuss

very basic question incr

From: jfw
Subject: very basic question incr
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:36:40 -0800 (PST)

I've been programming for about 45 years. I've been programming about 2 days with M4. I want to increment or double a "variable" every time I call a macro. A paper "Exploiting the m4 Macro Language" by Kenneth J. Turner available on the web suggests: define(‘Count’,‘incr(Count)’) then invoking it with Count produces m4: stack overflow using: define(‘Count’,incr(`Count')) Count produces m4: non-numeric to builtin`incr' using: define(`count',0) define(`count',`incr(count)') count also produces stack overflow I would appreciate being told the simple idiom I am trying to write. Once I understand incr() I assume I could use eval(x *2) to produce doubling Thanks, /s/ Jim WIlliams I'm using: m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.16 Packaged by Cygwin (1.4.16-1)

Sent from the Gnu - M4 - Discuss mailing list archive at Nabble.com.