m4-discuss

Re: M4 in python

From: Marc Chantreux
Subject: Re: M4 in python
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 13:39:16 +0100

hello and thanks for replying,

On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 09:33:38PM -0500, Doug McIlroy wrote:
> Maturity may be golden or it may be sclerotic. Judging by
> the overstuffed set of primitives in Gnu m4, I'm not so
> sure of its goldenness.

:-) i admire those way to express things. is it worth to get rewrite
from scratch of m4? maybe other C implementations (BSD, plan9_contrib, ...)
can be used?

About a complete rewrite, i would like to mention there are now compiled
langages with coroutines (haskell, rust, go for exemple) and some good
materials for the parsing part. it scares me that something like m4
could rely on a dynamic langage.

regards

--
Marc Chantreux (eiro on github and freenode)
http://eiro.github.com/