mailman

[gnu.org #1250610] Mailman file ownership problems

From: Ian Kelling via RT
Subject: [gnu.org #1250610] Mailman file ownership problems
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:26:32 -0500

On Fri Nov 03 15:16:52 2017, rwp wrote:
> Hello Sysadmin,
>
> Francisco Vila CC'd has reported a permission problem due to ownership
> when trying to edit the html for the lilypond-es mailing list.
>
> The problem seems to be an ownership problem on lists.
>
> lists:/var/log/mailman$ ll /var/lib/mailman/lists/lilypond-
> es/es/listinfo.html
> -rw-r--r-- 1 list list 4513 2010-01-01 20:38
> /var/lib/mailman/lists/lilypond-es/es/listinfo.html
>
> In order to write it from the web it needs to be user www-data.  For
> example here is a working listing.
>
> lists:/var/log/mailman$ ll
> /var/lib/mailman/lists/coreutils/en/listinfo.html
> -rw-r--r-- 1 www-data list 4181 2017-11-03 14:55
> /var/lib/mailman/lists/coreutils/en/listinfo.html
>
> The full details are forwarded below.
>
> Could you repair the ownership of that list?  It probably needs more
> than just that one file changed.  Please double check the directory
> against a known good list and fix the set of whatever ownership needs
> to be adjusted.
>
> And then please check the entire collection of mailing lists to catch
> any others that are also like this?
>
> Thanks!
> Bob
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Francisco Vila <address@hidden> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2017 11:56:40 +0100
> From: Francisco Vila <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: [savannah-help-public] Mailman bug after editing HTML
>
> Hello,
>
> I am the maintainer of a list in lists.gnu.org. I'd like to contact
> the
> webmaster of lists.gnu.org because I reach an error page after trying
> edit some code in the presentation page.
>
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
> https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/edithtml/lilypond-es/listinfo.html
>
> Bug in Mailman version 2.1.21
>
> We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
> Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of
> traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited,
> but the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.
> %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
>
> Please forgive me if this is not the right place to contact the
> webmaster.
>
> Cheers,

Hi Francisco,

Thank you for the report. We are planning to upgrade mailman in the next
week or two and hope to fix this as part of that upgrade. I will let you
know when it is fixed.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF