man-db-devel

Re: [Man-db-devel] Easy way to update default manpath lookup paths?

From: Jan Chaloupka
Subject: Re: [Man-db-devel] Easy way to update default manpath lookup paths?
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 09:10:17 +0100

Hello Saurabh,

have you tried to modify /etc/man_db.conf file? AFIAK, there is a MANPATH_MAP, where you can specify mappings of directories with binary/script/... into its corresponding path with man pages. I am not sure if there is a way to do this at once for each package you have, because there are /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin mappings. Man-db is smart and tries to discover additional manpaths from PATH. But using a script, you can very quick generate a new MANPATH_MAP mappings for each package if a structure of those packages is similar.

If man-db takes a path from PATH (in a form path:path::...), it first checks if there is a MANPATH_MAP mapping, if not, it tries to test, if there are share/man or man subdirectories in path. It does not check the path for doc/man.

Regards
Jan