maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: German translation online !

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Re: German translation online !
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:04:18 +0100

Hello!

Le Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:37:44 +0100,
address@hidden a écrit :

> >Yes, some strings were quickly translated by a non-native german
> >speaker.
>
> Would be good having them marked fuzzy, too.

All strings are automatically marked fuzzy when they are modified.
Then, it's up to the translator to leave them as fuzzy or not after
translating, depending on whether (s)he feel confident with the
translation.

> Saw that on maposmatic and while translating ;) I am more concerned
> about comitting stuff and access rights which may be needed. I am not
> familiar with git, svn and such.
>
> In short: how to commit a changed po-file?

Two solutions:

 * You send patches to the list and I integrate them. This is the
   simplest solution for a low amount of changes. This is how all
   MapOSMatic contributors work, including all original authors ;

 * You set up your own Git repository and you send me pull requests
   asking to pull your changes.

Git, as a distributed version control system, is quite different from
centralized version control system such as CVS or SVN.

> I tried now about an hour to commit such a one without being
> successful.
> ($ git push
> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly)
> I don't like to have to learn a tool inside out (yes, I
> tried to figure out what its manpages suppode the user to do) in a
> timeconsuming process which I need only now and then for comitting
> some files. I can make better usage of my time...

It's true that Git isn't the easiest tool to work with. But over the
last few years, it became a standard in the free software community for
most projects. Therefore I think that taking some time to learn Git
is worth the effort.

In a nutshell:

 Step 1, to be done only once: Clone the repository. Actually, for
 MapOSMatic, we have two repositories: one for OcitySMap, one for
 MapOSMatic.

   git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/maposmatic.git
   git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git

 Step 2, create your own branch.

   git checkout -b mywork

 Step 3, make your changes as usual

 Step 4, commit your changes (this is local only)

   git commit -a -m "Update german translation"

 Step 5, generate a patch

   git format-patch master

 Step 6, send me the 0001-XXXX.patch file generated.

 Step 7, remove the mywork branch

   git branch -D mywork

 Step 8, update your local copy once I committed the patch

   git pull

> > * Reviewing the translation of a few strings used in the street
> > index, at
> >
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ocitysmap.po
> >

> Do I understand right that these ar the categories where POIs like
> schools, place of worships and such are collected?

Yes. More precisely, there are two type of strings:

   buildings»

 * Name of POI used when the name of the POI isn't available in the
   OpenStreetMap database. This is where the "Post office", "School",
   "Kindergarten", etc. strings are used.

> In German, the streetnames ar names of the street with all parts of
> the name belonging to it.
> Be it "Straße der Deutschen Einheit" (Street of German Unity),
> "Doktor-Wilhelm-Külz-Straße" (should be clear) or
> "Hauptstraße" (Main road) - the names are just used as the are.

Ok. But this means that all streets starting with Straße will be listed
under letter "S" in the street index. Is this the case in normal german
city maps ? Do you have example of existing german city maps ?

> >   See the i18_fr_generic and i18_it_generic classes in
> >
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/maposmatic/ocitysmap.git/tree/ocitysmap/i18n.py
> >   for details.
>
> Umlauts like Ä, Ö, Ü, ä, ö, ü, ß (a kind of german s, very often used
> with "Straße") and all the "usual" ones in names of personalities
> should be transferred 1:1 to the index (just mentioning it since I
> saw some accent-handling).

The strings are copied 1:1 to the index. The accent handling is here to
make sure that streets such as :

 Émile Faure (Rue)
 Eugène Boulet (Avenue)

are properly stored into the category "E" and not split into two
categories "E" and "É". Both will fall into category "E" but their
original name is preserved.

> Besides, please check the original english strings for plenking¹ and
> correct it. I don't know what would happen if I'd do that and upload
> the corrected files into git (if I knew how)...

If you find some incorrect spaces before punctuation marks, don't
hesitate to let us know and we'll fix them.

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni                         http://thomas.enix.org