maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Localize for Japanese

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] Localize for Japanese
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 11:17:38 +0200

Dear Higashi-san,

2011/4/1 S.Higashi <address@hidden>:
> I don't know where this is related to your sugestion,

Yes.

> Japanese addressing system is mainly defined by block, not street.
> http://sivers.org/jaddr
> Many streets in japan do not have a name.

Oh, I did not know that!

OK, so to put this in context, currently in MapoOSMatic we:
  1. extract all street names;
  2. sort according to the chosen language the street names;
  3. print them in the index.

For Japan, 1. is apparently totally useless and the generated index in
3 is probably empty (except maybe for amenities like school,
post-office, etc.).

So my question is: what should we do in MapOSMatic for Japanese maps?
What kind of index (if any) is printed on Japanese maps?

Best regards,
david