mifluz-dev

Re: [Mifluz-dev] Why the list class and why the compare and copy methods

From: Geoff Hutchison
Subject: Re: [Mifluz-dev] Why the list class and why the compare and copy methods in Object class
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 23:29:29 -0500

I have been looking at the source and wondered if
anybody knows why there are a List class? Why does
Mifluz not use the STL?

Mifluz is based on ht://Dig and both projects began development long before there was much in the way of standardized C++, including template classes. Were it to be reimplemented now, different design decisions might be made.

I will point out that at this point, mifluz is no longer being actively maintained by Loic. I would suggest if you (or anyone) is looking for mifluz-like code, they should take a look at the ht://Dig version 3.2 development effort. Keep in mind that mifluz initially started from the ht://Dig codebase before Loic felt it was important to branch it out. At this point, mifluz isn't really maintained separately, but ht://Dig is actively developed.

http://www.htdig.org/

I am also curious about why there is a compare and
copy method in the Object class. Why not use the
==operator and the C++ builtin copy methods (like copy
constructor)?

Again, the base class development predates standardized C++ compilers. Writing portable C++ code is much easier these days, but at the time, a copy constructor and an == operator would often fail on non-G++ compilers. (Remember that you're not always aware when the copy constructor is used by other code.)

As an example, look at some of the Mozilla "C++ portability guidelines"
http://www.mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html

Cheers,
-Geoff