mingw-cross-env-list

Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] git

From: James Garner
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] git
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 14:34:23 -0500

Tonuy,

In?? Visual Studio?? 2017, msdev now has git capability integrated into the tools, but you have to turn it on. They also allow remote running of linux programs and remote debugging. They also support CMake within the environment, but the support provided is weaker than their native project mechanism. As is the debugging and exucution.

By default, msdev still uses team foundation and azure devops. They also hide the details of how git functions, so taht developpers accustomed to team foundation functioning will be comfortable/happy with their product.

The result is that the office, having used Team FoundationServer for 10 years or so, continue with that, and will be switching to azure devops, not using git directly. I have little to no practical experience wiht the git mentality, and will have to read a bit more on it.

My office is strongly M$ centric, going on 20 years. At one point it was a unix devlopment shop, writing Oracle Forms on Sun Solaris, and having fun wuth rsh to execute xeyes on compartiosts machines, but those days are long gone.

I have a linux dev environment set up (as a virtual box) at the office, running CentOS 7, and at home I am running Fedora 30. I woulsd like to show my office that their goals of cross-platform development is closer under Linuzx than unsder the M$ stuff.

My observation is that M$ ONLY provides the barest minimum of support for competitors product streams as demanded by the community, and then, only if the companies are speaking to each other. Support of Oracle under M$ has been sporadic at best, a few years it is well supported, then a few years it is not supported, and it goes back and forth, like that. It is not something that allows for a long-term stable development environmnet. The reason: M$ wants you to use their SQL-server, not Oracle, and they can force it. Only trouble is that product is NOT as capable as Oracle, and never has been.?? My office is considering going to PostGRES, for cost davings. If they would also swihc to linux development, then they could get mare capability...

To answer your question: I have not yet read up on git.

I took the day off, so I am also doing laundry and making a Flan, among other things. Wife is sick, and kids are running around the house.

I went to the tire (tyre) store this morning to replace a tire (tyre) that went flat yesterday while the mxe build was finishing...

I had run 'make --jobs=4 --keep-going' to see what else built. Pretty much everythign except the fe mentioned earlier built. (it took about 5 hours)

I am about to run the make command you requested on qt.make.

I'll post that when it finishes.

Cheers,

Jim