[MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme on the SPARC?

From: Taylor Campbell
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme on the SPARC?
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 21:28:06 -0800 (PST)

(I asked this once already on this list (or perhaps mit-scheme-users@)
a few months ago, but I didn't get a response then.  I'll ask this once
more, just in case the email was simply overlooked.)

What would it take to get the SPARC port of MIT Scheme & LIAR working?
I get the impression that the code is a bit old & crufty, but, if it
wouldn't be too hard, I'd like to be able to use it on my local SPARC,
as otherwise MIT Scheme would really be inaccessible to me (it is
available to me only over a slow ssh connection to an x86 box across
the continent, and I don't really want to buy any x86 machinery just to
run a Scheme system), and the more I browse MIT Scheme's source, the
more I like it & want to use it.  So: can anyone give me a brief idea
of the feasibility of making MIT Scheme run on SPARCs under Solaris 9
(bootstrapping from an x86 running Linux), and lend a hand if it's not
too difficult a task?