[MIT-Scheme-devel] Problems with MIT-Scheme on Intel Mac

From: Gerry & Edie Anderson
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Problems with MIT-Scheme on Intel Mac
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 15:25:02 -1000

Greetings from Hawaii,

I have been trying to get MIT-Scheme up and running on my Intel Imac, but
seem to constantly run into one problem or another.

First I downloaded the scheme-20070205-ix86-apple-darwin.tar.gz file and
attempted to use the installation directions, namely

"To install the software in /usr/local, do the following

     cd /usr/local
     rm -f bin/scheme bin/bchscheme
     rm -rf lib/mit-scheme
     gzip -cd scheme-7.7.1-ix86-gnu-linux.tar.gz | tar xvf -"

This did not work.

I then decompressed the gz file and using UNIX commands on the terminal
moved the Scheme executable to /usr/local/bin, and the library files to
/usr/local/lib/mit-scheme, as suggested in the instructions.

I then attempted to run scheme and got the following

gerald-andersons-computer:~ geraldanderson$ scheme
scheme: can't find a readable default for option --band.
        searched for file runtime.com in these directories:
        /usr/local/lib/mit-scheme

Inconsistency detected.
gerald-andersons-computer:~ geraldanderson$

So I am now at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gerry Anderson