[MIT-Scheme-devel] locally toggling compiler switches

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] locally toggling compiler switches
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 00:50:12 +0000

It would be nice to be able to locally enable and disable range and
type checks, so that tight inner loops could be written in, and
compiled as part of, the same file as code that should be for the most
part safe.  (The same would be nice for other switches as well,
although type and range checks are probably most interesting at the
moment.)

If the compiler were to be augmented with the capability of recording
this information locally through declarations like (DECLARE
(NO-TYPE-CHECKS FLOATING-VECTOR-REF)), would it be appropriate to
store it in the `block' structure and use that to guide the
open-coding analysis?  I've started to hack it into a local copy of
the compiler; I'll see how well it goes.