Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] GTk+ in MIT-Scheme?

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] GTk+ in MIT-Scheme?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:51:00 -0700

> From: Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:45:26 +0100
>
> [...]
> I had a quick look, and it seems this FFI is "static" in nature;
> i.e. you can not do bindings that rely on run-time data. Am I right?

Yes, a shim (a shared object wrapping a C library, with assorted
accouterments) must be arranged in advance.

> Since you mention GTK+ bindings: are you aware of
> gobject-introspection[http://live.gnome.org/GObjectIntrospection]?
> [...]

I am aware of things like that.  I have not looked at any in the last
couple of years...

> It is designed to make the creating of both static and dynamic
> bindings much easier, as it should be possible to create
> fully-functional bindings using only the introspected data

That would be cool.  It would be uber fun to point my shim generator
at an XML file and get a complete GNOME shim -- no .cdecl files to
write!  That could save me from the temptation to parse C headers!

> I do a (runtime) binding library based on gobject-introspection
> called sbank[http://live.gnome.org/sbank] [...]  this could be an
> opportunity for sharing code

You are already reading C type and function declarations from a GIR
XML file?  Oooo, I would like to see THAT.  The next time I find
myself fiddling .cdecl files I will definitely take a look at sbank.