Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] git pull is failing again

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] git pull is failing again
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 20:33:36 -0700

> From: Chris Hanson <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 16:20:10 -0700
>
> Sure, if you want to, go ahead.

It is done, sortof.

I started to remove the $Id:...$ tags but found a few being put
to some use, as in microcode-tables-identification or the AC_REVISION
macro.  So I decided to just change $Id:...$ to $Id$ everywhere ...

... and to give the ident attribute another try.  Yes, I re-created the
.gitattributes file!

Yet NOW when I make a clone

        git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/mit-scheme.git

I get a clean working directory.

Unfortunately I also get "$Id$" instead of "$Id: <hash>$".  It seems
NONE of the files checked out by git-clone got the ident attribute in
time.  Subsequent git-checkout's DO add the <hash>.  Thus something
like

        rm -rf * # Do NOT remove .gitattributes!
        git checkout master

is still required to ensure non-empty $Id$ tags in a fresh clone. :-{