[MIT-Scheme-devel] compiling for OS X

From: Arthur A. Gleckler
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] compiling for OS X
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:09:26 -0700

I just bought a new Mac Mini to replace my aging iMac G5.  Now that I
have an x86, I'd love to run the prebuilt binary, but it doesn't
include some bug fixes I made recently that I need for a project.
Unfortunately, I can't get MIT Scheme to compile using either the x86
back end or the C back end after doing <git clone>.  I suspect that
the problem with the x86 back end is that GCC is perhaps trying to
build a 64-bit app, but I have no idea what's wrong with the C back
end.

Was there anything special required to build the x86 OS X binary at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/mit-scheme/>?    For example, is there a
<configure> step to force the building of a 32-bit binary?  (A 32-bit
binary would be fine with me.)

I'll dig in and try to solve this on my own if no one knows what's
going on, but thank you for any hints.

(I can follow up later with precise error messages.  I'm at work work
now and don't have access to them here.)