Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Setting up version-controlled src/runtime on OS X

From: Taylor R Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Setting up version-controlled src/runtime on OS X?
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:31:42 -0400

   Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 11:41:45 -0700
   From: Derek Peschel <address@hidden>

   That clears things up.  src/README.txt refers to the CVS sources and CVS
   state, so it's nice to know that switching to git hasn't changed the build
   procedure.

The file has not been updated in some time.  Some of the environment
variables are wrong, but aside from that I think it can mostly be
fixed by substituting `Git' for `CVS'.

     1. I have MacPorts installed, I have /opt in my path so I can run ports,
        and configure finds the X binaries and libraries in /opt.  That strikes
        me as an undesirable dependency.  The solution is to set PATH before
        running configure.

You can just pass --without-x if you want to disable X.

        Building from git and doing Setup.sh, I may end up with a different
        configure script than the distributed one.  I'm still looking.

What is the problem, exactly?

     2. In order for the top-level makefile to work, you must create Makefiles
        in doc and src.  To do that you must run configure in doc and src.
        This isn't a surprise in hindsight, but the need to get the whole
        picture from several documentation files slows down my understanding.

We need to rewrite the scripts in the dist/ directory for Git anyway,
which will happen by the time of the release of the next snapshot.  I
don't know what purpose that makefile serves, or served; perhaps Chris
may know.

     4. Because of OS X's case-sensitive file names, you can't have tags and
        TAGS in the same directory.  They are two names for the same file.

What is the problem that this fact causes?  Some of the makefiles have
what I think are spuriously phony rules for `tags' and `TAGS' (only
the `tags' rule should be phony), but each has the same effect of
running etags to create a single file.