Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Setting up version-controlled src/runtime on OS X

From: Derek Peschel
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Setting up version-controlled src/runtime on OS X?
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:47:38 -0700

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 08:31:42PM -0400, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
>         Building from git and doing Setup.sh, I may end up with a different
>         configure script than the distributed one.  I'm still looking.
>
> What is the problem, exactly?

Actually I wasn't pointing out a problem.  Call it wondering out loud, as in
"Is Setup.sh on my machine going to create a configure script that uses
slightly different rules than the distributed one?  And will any changes
help me?"

>      4. Because of OS X's case-sensitive file names, you can't have tags and
>         TAGS in the same directory.  They are two names for the same file.
>
> What is the problem that this fact causes?  Some of the makefiles have
> what I think are spuriously phony rules for `tags' and `TAGS' (only
> the `tags' rule should be phony), but each has the same effect of
> running etags to create a single file.

In that case the name-smashing is harmless.  Unfortunately "tags" in
lowercase is a common name for vi-format tags files, so it's not possible
to have the two formats together in the same directory.

-- Derek