[MIT-Scheme-devel] Is it still a PORT?

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Is it still a PORT?
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:37:39 -0800

It turns out that when you read a source code file that the
inner loop of the parser does a lot of superfluous checking
of PORT?  Although PORT? is an inexpensive operation,
it still involves an out-of-line call, and it gets called eleven times
for each character of input.

I've got some changes that fix that.  The first batch cuts the
number of calls to PORT? to 5 per character.

These changes involved exporting some new symbols from
the port package, input package, and output package.  I've
tested it pretty thoroughly, but maybe I missed something.
Let me know right away if something breaks!

--
~jrm