Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] building for X86_64 on OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)

From: Arthur A. Gleckler
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] building for X86_64 on OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 00:26:26 -0800

> Just to clarify: do you mean that you had the 20090107 snapshot with
> the C back end installed, and you fetched a clean Git repository, in
> which you ran Setup.sh and etc/make-native.sh?  And did it fail at the
> same time as for Derrell Piper as shown in his transcript?

Here are the steps I followed:

  1) I downloaded the 20090107 C back end ".tgz" file and installed
  it.

  2) I fetched a clean Git repository.

  3) I ran <sh etc/make-native.sh>.  (I didn't run "Setup.sh" since
  "make-native.sh" does that.)

It failed at exactly the same place as it did for Derrell:

  ;  Compiling file: "crypto.bin" => "crypto.moc"...
  ;non-pointer datum out of range 288230376151711743

> I'll try again to reproduce this tomorrow.  However, I don't have
> access to any x86-64 machine running Snow Leopard; I can test it only
> under GNU/Linux.

I was able to build a native x86-64 version on Snow Leopard in
mid-November (but on a different machine), so I doubt that it's Snow
Leopard that makes the difference.  I wonder whether any of the recent
arithmetic fixes introduced a bug.