Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] make-eq-hash-table

From: Joe Marshall
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] make-eq-hash-table
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:48:59 -0800

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 8:46 AM, Taylor R Campbell <address@hidden> wrote:
>  What I observed in MIT Scheme is that, of
> the sixty-two uses of MAKE-EQ-HASH-TABLE, more of them are incorrect,
> and need key-strong hash tables, than actally need key-weak hash
> tables.

This is what I disagree with.  If they were correct when symbols were
strongly interned, the behavior shouldn't change when symbols are
weakly interned.

In other words, the *use* of MAKE-EQ-HASH-TABLE isn't the bug, it
is the *behavior* of MAKE-EQ-HASH-TABLE that is buggy.  It should
retain symbols and numbers the same as it used to.

BTW, the fix for this was trivial and I checked it in this morning.  you need
these two changes:
77c8301526fc3a8f420c2922eefad215bd8d8dba (patch)
097a3ee6c70d396a3277fb96374abbfc2da86e51 (patch)

and now entries keyed by interned symbols will not drop out of EQ hash tables.
Otherwise, the behavior is as before.

--
~jrm