[MIT-Scheme-devel] Re: mit-scheme-9.0.1-i386.tar.gz

From: Matt Birkholz
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] Re: mit-scheme-9.0.1-i386.tar.gz
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:24:10 -0700

> From: address@hidden (Matt Birkholz)
> Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 17:56:11 -0700
>
> > From: Chris Hanson <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:59:23 -0700
> >
> > This is not a complete binary install.  It's a combination
> > source/binary install.  You're supposed to compile the microcode on
> > your machine; read the install instructions.
>
> Found them!  Thanks.  In the User Manual no less!
>
> Sorry to be random. [...]
>
> Can I punt the link/table in the "Release status..." section?

That table still looks awkward, unnecessary.  I will nuke it.

> And put the liarc build instructions in the User Manual?

I put the LIARC/C build instructions in the user manual, as "Portable
C Installation".  Building the distribution also got a mention in
src/README.txt.

> And put a note in src/README.txt for the luser/installer/non-developer?

I added a pointer to the Unix installation instructions, for the next
luser that wanders into a binary distribution.

I am afraid src/README.txt got a vicious pruning.  I started out just
replacing CVS with git, then punting "SCHEME_LARGE" and other cruft.
I found most of the friendly stuff was about re-compiling/re-linking
the microcode, largely subsumed by the compile-microcode step in the
Unix installation instructions.  After several hours, there was very
little of it left.... sorry. :-}